St. Mary Of The Annunciation Parish, Lonaconing, Maryland (original drawing available)
The first Mass at St. Mary of the Annunciation was celebrated on Christmas Day 1865. The church was built hill on a parcel of land donated by the Superintendent of George’s Creek Coal and Iron Company. The building was started in 1860 but was delayed by the Civil War. The building was fashioned from the wood and stone from the surrounding mountains. Prior to the building of St. Mary Church, Mass was celebrated at the “stone house” in Knapp’s Meadow, sometimes by John Neumann, who become the first American saint.